Monday, January 28, 2008

My time...

Ashley says-
I know that I told some of you that I was getting an actual career. (And I was; I didn't lie.) Here's why I DON'T have a job:

I was looking for a part-time job for the winter 2008 semester here at BYU and partially looking for something that could go full time after we graduate in April. I saw a job as a technical writer, which is completely in my feild, and applied on a whim. They got back to me right before Christmas break. I agreed to meet with them after Christmas... then I left my phone in Wyoming. They still managed to get a hold of me and I went in for a first interview and gave them Jason's cell number. That was the day before we left for Florida.

We had an incredible time in Florida. (Not kidding... read the Florida blog!) Unfortunately the company ( never got back to me so I gave up hope. Luckily, as soon as I got back to Utah, they called me! I was excited but something didn't feel right. I went in for the second interview (while Jason waited in the car...) and waited because the guy that was to interview me was in a meeting. I waited 30 minutes and he never came out, and that whole time an uneasy feeling was growing. I finally left without the interview and just told one of the workers there to let the guy know that I had shown up and left.

As soon as I got to the car I got a phone call. The interviewer was somewhat desperate to have me come back so I went back in after talking things over with Jason a bit. I was determined to go in and lay everything on the line since I had the feeling that I shouldn't take the job. (This whole time I had been shaking it off as nerves.) The guy accepted all of my demands and hired me on the spot, which took me off gaurd.

I went in to start work for them on my birthday, Friday January 11. I was excited to be there! It was fun to think I would actually have a full-time job, in my field of linguistics, in Utah. (These positions are pretty rare.) I couldn't believe that they had actually hired me and I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, I had the feeling that I wasn't supposed to be there. It felt like I was doing somebody elses work.

So I didn't sleep all weekend because I knew I had to quit and didn't want to. The feeling grew worse with every day that passed. So on Monday, I cried a little, then went in and quit my job, then cried a little more. The CEO of the company was really nice about it, while the other one was pretty put off. It was one of the hardest decisions I have made because it was completely against my logic, and I don't EVER go against my logic.

Thus, I am jobless and waiting for the Lord's plans to unfold. Jason and I have had some of the craziest conversations about what in the world the future is going to hold for us if it is that important that I didn't have that job. Oh well. Guess we'll find out...

No comments: